The sun is bright and shining, the flowers are starting to blossom, and the breezy fresh air is renewing and awakening everything in its surroundings.The annual spring clean frenzy is happening as well and we have to admit, cleaning is not the most exciting thing in the world to do. Every year when spring rolls around we practice our yearly routine of decluttering, organizing, and scrubbing certain parts of our house that need a little more TLC. Glad to say our spring cleaning is complete on our end for this year but, we also discovered a new amazing way to spring clean our home by using non-toxic products! Non-toxic products are great in so many ways and in this week's blog post we will share secrets about our new amazing discovery.
Benefits of Non-Toxic Cleaning
1. Save your coins: The brands we see in the store typically don't provide all purpose cleaners. Instead of buying so many products at once, try an eco friendly all purpose cleaner that is designed to do multiple jobs and is less expensive. We recommend checking out the Better Life All Purpose Cleaner. It is great for eliminating grease, cleaning up a spill on the couch, eliminates dirt, and more!
2. Safer home: Conventional products put your child at a high risk of chemical burns and increases your stress levels as well. It is a big relief to know that your child and pets aren't exposed to any harsh chemicals when you use non toxic cleaners. Your pets can easily roam on the floor and children can play anywhere they want without picking up any toxic cleaning residue.
3. Individual health: Natural based products do not contribute to toxicity levels in the human body. Natural cleaning products also protects our major organs from exposure to harsh chemical products, carcinogens that may affect or respiratory system, and they do not irritate our skin or eyes.
4. Protect the planet: Chemicals from cleaning products are released into the environment through evaporation and washing residual product down the drain from the cleaned surface. Which puts the nearby ecosystems and population at high risk of exposure that may affect the water and air quality. Most eco friendly packaging are designed to decrease waste by using biodegradable materials to help keep the planet cleaner!
To get the best non toxic cleaning experience, you may need to upgrade your homecare kit. Cleaning supplies play a big part in achieving a squeaky clean home as well. So we put together a list of recommended essential cleaning tools your homecare kit needs.
- Microfiber cleaning cloth-outlasts other cleaning cloths or sponges, and also removes 99% of bacteria on surfaces
- Spray bottles for your DIY cleansers (checkout our DIY recipe cleaners below)
- Cleaning caddy or bucket-the caddy/bucket will hold all cleaning supplies together and makes it easy to transport around the house
- Lint roller- easy and an amazing method to remove dust and hair around the house
- Brushes- a toothbrush and a regular scrub brush are great to clean any dirt or grime
- Vacuum cleaner-preferably with attachments that are extendable to reach higher points in the house
- A mop-any hard surfaces like wood need to be cleaned
DIY Cleaner Recipes
Here you will see that essential oils play a big role in our recipes. Not only do essential oils smell amazing, but they are powerful, destroy fungus, bacteria, and viruses. We recommend starting with lemon, lavender, tea tree or peppermint for a great cleaning. Also, you may find that you may have a lot of these ingredients in your home which will save you a trip to the store! Take a look at our DIY recipes:
Mattress cleaner and freshener
- Spray bottle
- 1 cup white vinegar -mild natural disinfectant, deodorizer
- ½ cup baking powder- deodorizer
- 8 drops Eucalyptus essential oil-cleanses surface and air, beneficial properties for the skin
- 8 drops Lavender essential oil: promotes peaceful sleep
- Spray bottle
- 1 cup of white vinegar
- ½ cup baking powder
- Kettle of boiling water
- 1 cup of salt
- 1 half of fresh lime or lemon (or 8 drops of lemon essential oil)
- Put all contents down the drain and turn on disposal
All purpose (sink, mirrors, toilet, shower, etc)
- Spray bottle
- ½ white vinegar
- ½ cup vodka (great for killing germs)
- 10 drops lavender essential oil
- 10 drops orange essential oil
- 1 cup of cooled boiled water